So what is a baby shower for you might ask? Simply it is a party for expecting mothers.
Not only can it be a lot of fun for the mother-to-be (and father-to-be) and their friends but it’s a chance for them to celebrate the new life, to “shower” the mommy-to-be with love and gifts and friends and family to show support.
For first time parents, the anxiety and stress of having their first child can be at times overwhelming, especially on their finances. This is where baby showers can help. Not only help them relieve the financial burden but also to provide their child with proper infant care, such as gadgets, furnishings and accessories.
In the beginning…
Gifts were given to the mother after the baby was born. Oftentimes it was just an afternoon tea party for the mother and her close female relatives. The presents she would receive would be mostly handmade and almost always very practical. Commonly they would have a shower only for the first baby in a family. And there would usually be just one party given for that baby.
Not only are baby showers often given for subsequent children joining the family, but the mother is often “showered” more than once, by various groups such as: work, church, relatives, etc. Today, showers are often planned to include the father-to-be and his male friends, which are called co-ed or couples shower party (or alternatively it can be called “diaper party”). It can be sophisticated and elegant, or it can be much more casual such as BBQ in the backyard.
Showers today usually only last a few hours and are often held at a restaurant, office, someone’s home or a dedicated baby shower venue in your city. The shower is often held prior to the birth by a month or two, which is usually early enough even if the baby decides to come a bit early. This extra time gives the mother time to exchange duplicate gifts and buy anything else she feels she still needs but didn’t get at the shower.
The baby shower itself is traditional and for the most part, every shower involves the same basic activities, some of them are:
- Guest lists and invitations need to be created and mailed.
- The shower location needs to be decorated.
- Guests expect to be entertained, so food of some sort either just snacks or complete meals.
- There is also generally a cake – which is often the centerpiece on the sweet table; something simple or something much more unique and elaborate. There are many ideas available for creative cakes that tie in perfectly with the theme of the baby shower. It is a good idea to choose a unique baby shower theme and plan for the cake at the same time, before announcing the details of the shower to the mother and guests. This way, the host can be sure they have a cake that ties in well with their theme and isn’t struggling at the last minute to find a suitable cake.
- Don’t forget the games: they can be great for breaking the ice among people who may not know each other and can also help the various generations relate more to one another.
- And because it’s a special occasion, there might even be a photographer and/or videographer (mommy would definitely want to start a scrapbook!)
- Extra: musician and other special talent participating in the festivities.
Hosting a chic or classy baby shower doesn’t have to be expensive especially if you are having a theme that can tie the party together. Pulling it off doesn’t take special talent, it takes a well-thought out plan that includes a timeline and a budget. That’s why it’s highly advisable for whoever is hosting the shower to put together (and stick to) a workable budget.
Remember that a properly coordinated baby shower will be greatly appreciated and forever cherished by the parents long after they have delivered their child. We wish you all the best in throwing the best baby shower party and hope this answers your questions on what is a baby shower for!
Now come on and start baby shower planning